Thursday 17 November 2011

Corn n Capsicum Pulao

This is a hand me down recipe from my sister and I find it as a great option for comfort food days..it's even a great substitute for the painstaking task of preparing a veg biryani.I happened to make this today after a long time and when I opened the cooker I was transported back to sweet home memories before my sister left for University and the one-odd days that she would get into her full cooking mood. And after eating her food and my husband's, I am of the confirmed opinion that people who cook rarely make the most delicious food :) well now my sister is an expert in her own right and ends up teaching me a thing or two ..
Once you read the recipe you might notice that I have used a lot of chilli (3 types actually) but that's because this pulao tastes great spicy and hot..you can tone down as per your taste preference. 


Ingredients

1 cup rice,washed and saoked for 15 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bayleaf
1 teaspoon jeera
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon chopped green chilli
1 onion,chopped finely
1 large tomato , chopped finely
1 cup sweet corn
1 capsicum, chopped
1/2 teaspoon haldi powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon jeera powder
2 tabelspoons pav bhaji masala
1 1/2 cups water
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander, to garnish

1. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the bayleaf and jeera and cook till spluttering.
2. Add the garlic and green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
3. Add the onion and cook till soft.
4. Add the tomato and cook till dry.
5. Add all the masalas and salt , fry for a minute.
6. Add in the corn and the capsicum and cook for another minute.
7. Add the rice and the water . Cover the lid and put the cooker on high flame. After one whistle, let it sim for 5-6 minutes.
8. Turn off the gas and open the cooker only after the steam has been released
9. Serve hot garnished with corainder..I added a dollop of butter for some extra love :))



1 comment:

  1. Am trying this today. Will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete