Thursday 15 September 2011

Pasta Upma - Pasta with a twist :)

I call this the Pasta with a twist - after an initial frown, I was pleasantly surpised when this was offered to me for breakfast by my sister-in-law. And while my favourite cuisine has and will always be Italian, I am sure there will be no offence done with this desi version :) Am sure all you moms constantly pondering what to feed your tiny tots for a snack/tiffin box will be the first to try this recipe out. Here goes....

Ingredients

1 onion, finely chopped
2 big tomatoes, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
7-8 curry patta leaves
1/2 tablespoon rai (mustard seeds)
1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
2 garlic pods, peeled and crushed
Pinch of heeng
Pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut plus some for garnish
2 cups boiled macaroni (or any other pasta)
2 tablespoons oil
Chopped coriander, for garnish

1. Heat the oil. Add the heeng and rai seeds (there is hardly and Indian cooking that I do without heeng, the flavour I love and is great for digestion)
2. When the seeds splutter, add the green chilli, garlic and ginger and fry for half a minute.
3. Add the onion and cook till soft.
4. Then add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat till dried out. At this stage you can also add any boiled vegetables (peas, carrots etc..)
5. Add the grated coconut, salt to taste, pinch of sugar and toss the pasta in.
6. Stir for a minute or so on low heat till the sauce is combined well.
7. Turn off the gas , garnish with coriander and coconut .
8. Dig in !!!

Here is a dekho of the 'upma'






2 comments: