Sunday 18 September 2011

Poached Cinnamon Pears

I like cooking that is quick and easy but while this can be factored into making savoury , its the desserts that usually take longer . That's why I love this dessert as it takes minimal effort in planning and executing. And who can resist a hot fruit pudding fragrant with cinnamon and devoured with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream!
I mentioned my Holy Book of Recipes in my earlier post and this recipe is adapted from there as well. Well this book was gifted to me by my dad on one of his first trips to the US about a decade back and at a time when airlines clearly had more baggage allowance as this book weighs about as much as 2-3 kgs! It's titled '1000 Classic Recipes from around the world' and is really a classic,no author mentioned, just says edited by Jo-Anne Cox and Elizabeth Towers on the cover...if you ever get your hands on it, do pick it up (but please continue reading my blog:)). I hope someday I can say that I have tried every recipe from this book...a dreamer (my profile description)
Back to the recipe,this will turn out as great with apples..

Ingredients

2 pears
2 tablespoons brown sugar (try not to substitute with white sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup raisins
2-3 toasted cashewnuts to garnish
Ice cream to serve

1. Peel the pears and cut in halves. If the pear is large then cut into quarters . Remove the seeds and the core.
2. In a saucepan bring the juice,sugar and cinnamon powder to a boil and add the pears.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid covered for 15 minutes or till the pears are cooked . You can insert a knife and test if it goes into the pear smoothly.
4. If the pears are large and not cooked and the juice is drying up then you can add more juice ,2-3 tablespoons at a time till the pears are cooked.
5.Add the raisins and turn off the heat.
6. Place the pear piece on a plate ,pour some of the juice from the pan over it and serve hot with ice cream and toasted nuts.





No comments:

Post a Comment